Next Class will begin February 21, 2018 for a duration of 12 weeks on Wednesday.
TIME: 6:30 PM to 9PM
WHERE: 1528 Esplanade – Enloe Conference Center
Contact Mary at 530-518-7983 to sign up or to get more information.
Family-to-Family is a free 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illness. The course was written by experienced family members and mental health professionals and is taught by family members who have completed the course and are specially trained to teach the course to others. It meets for 2 1/2 hours per week for 12 consecutive weeks.
Family-to-Family is a new concept in education for families and others who are affected by serious mental illness, including schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, major depression, panic disorder, borderline personality disorder, severe anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder. The course also includes information about co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem-solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services